13-Aug-2016, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka:
UNESCO-IHE and University of Peradeniya jointly organized a one day training on “Urban Drainage/Flood System Analysis and Green Infrastructure Intervention Design” at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka. Forty participants from the Industry (including Irrigation department, Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau) and Academia participated in the training.
The training was mainly sponsored by NORAD WaSo Asia Project of University of Peradeniya with support from Corporative Research Centre for Water Sensitive Cities – An Australian government initiative. The event was organized by the Engineering Design Centre of Faculty of Engineering.
The training was implemented by Prof. S.B. Weerakoon of Faculty of Engineering and Associate Professor Assela Pathirana of UNESCO-IHE. Instructors of the faculty of engineering, Mr. D.D. Dias, Mr. H.M.V.V. Herath and Miss. D.P.H.M. Kanchanamala assisted in the hands on exercises.
The topics covered included:
- Basics of Hydrology/Hydraulic simulation with EPA SWMM model
- Building a simple storm drainage model using SWMM
- Designing and sizing of Water Sensitive Urban Design elements
- Design and sizing of detention basins
- Optimization of drainage system evaluation